Tips on How to Unlock a Steering Wheel
Most of the time, you won’t realize you’ve locked your steering wheel until you’re set to take off on your commute from Omaha to Beatrice. If you’re having a hard time getting your vehicle started, or your key won’t turn in the ignition, you may have a locked steering wheel. Luckily, this is no cause for alarm. Learning how to lock your steering wheel and unlock it again is easy and takes just a moment or two. Review our service tips below to determine how to unlock a steering wheel.
How to Unlock a Steering Wheel: Step-by-Step Guide
Figuring out how to unlock your steering wheel is a breeze – just follow these steps:
- Start by pulling the wheel down in the same direction you did when it originally locked.
- If you’re unsure which direction to turn the wheel, try both. The wheel will give a bit when you turn it in the right direction.
- While holding your steering wheel in the right direction, insert your key into the ignition and fire up the engine.
- If the wheel doesn’t unlock or your engine doesn’t start, try repeating the previous step with the wheel turned in the opposite direction.
Unlocking a Steering Wheel: Tips to Keep in Mind
In order to unlock your steering wheel without causing any damage, keep these tricks in mind:
- Avoid Using Brute Force: Muscling your way through a locked steering wheel simply won’t work. If you do manage to get the wheel to budge, it will mean something has broken. Instead, follow the tips above while applying light pressure.
- Try a Different Key: Sometimes, the key itself can be a problem when trying to unlock a steering wheel. If the key is worn out to the point where it can no longer engage the car’s tumblers, you’ll have no success starting your engine. Try using a different key or visit our service center if you need a replacement.
How to Lock Your Steering Wheel Intentionally
While it can feel like an annoyance when done unintentionally, learning how to lock your steering wheel has its benefits. If you’re parking in an unfamiliar area, locking your steering wheel is a great way to add an extra layer of theft protection. Learn how to lock your steering wheel through these steps:
- Turn off your vehicle and remove the keys from the ignition.
- Rotate your steering wheel in one direction until you hear a click.
- Your steering wheel is now locked. Once you return, you can follow the steps listed above to get back on the road.
Learn More with Sid Dillon Nissan!
Whenever you need reliable automotive service or guidance, rely on the experts at Sid Dillon Nissan. Our team loves to share our knowledge, which is why we offer automotive insights online. Along with teaching you how to unlock your steering wheel, we can show you how to remove a car battery or how to program your Nissan Intelligent Key. Visit us in Lincoln when you need service!
More from Sid Dillon Nissan